Wednesday, April 6, 2011

That is a Very Long Hallway

Monday night, myself, Stephen, and Nikki went to the Alamo on South Lamar to catch the advance screening of Your Highness. It was a triple feature, showing The Sword and the Sorcerer first, then Krull after Your Highness. Alamo had David Green (the director), Danny McBride (the dude), and Justin Theroux (played the evil wizard, and apparently the angry Scot in Charlie's Angels 2) there for questions and whatnot. It was a pretty good event overall, though I made the distinctly stupid decision of sitting through the whole thing on a worknight and getting to bed around 3am. Considering that my sleep time is a precious, rare thing, this is something I'm still paying for today.

Yesterday was a fucking marathon of classes, and I'm gonna bugger off work early today to go home and collapse. Just all around, work has been stressful in good ways these past couple months. We're still not entirely sure how long the company is going to be able to operate due to lacking income from grants and whatnot, but I've been burying myself in classes and writing material for the programs so I've had little energy to spare for the other shit.

That's mostly it for now. I'm just trying to make a goddamned habit of writing in this thing more often. I've put myself back to work writing on my projects and for other people, so I think it's important I get in the practice of this again.

Oh, about the blog title - yesterday I went to the new Travis County Jail building to give a class for the women's group there. I went through some of their airlock-type gates and eventually found myself staring down this hallway that was literally half a mile long. It was featureless beige with little green doors on the sides at regular intervals and I was struck by how completely isolated and buried I felt. I did the class in about an hour and left. After I got back outside, I turned and looked back at the building just to confirm it wasn't miles and miles below the surface; I was in fact simply in a building that whole time.

That night (last night) I had a dream that the world was in such a state that for some reason, the population had to take turns living in these big, multi-level domes underground for a year just so they didn't get too much exposure to radiation that had covered the surface. Everything was well-lit and the accomodations were good (similar to those space station shows like Babylon5 or Star Trek), but everything just felt slightly off. It was obviously unnatural, but it was also just sickeningly wrong in some way, like the rictus grin on a clown.

No comments:

Post a Comment