Monday, November 28, 2011

Half Measures Are For Weenies

I may have decided to challenge myself to finish my book at the same time that my current writing gig with AEG hit me with a new assignment. And I decided to take on a simultaneous, new project with AEG as well. Also I still have a full time day job, so it's not like I suddenly sprang free time. I'm not too sure, in retrospect, what drove me to do all of this without thinking about it all together. But there it is. For someone who was previously upset that he couldn't find a decent part time job, you could possibly say I have gained what is called the embarrassment of riches. But the first AEG job pays not so great, and sparsely, and the new one doesn't pay at all. I took it mostly because the time investment seemed low and I wanted to see about putting my name on another project that has a possibility of taking off. The book, of course, isn't paid either.

So really, no riches. Just embarrassment, I suppose.

Thanksgiving this year went off pretty well. Kim and I put together a pretty impressive dinner that had started off as a plan for six no-local-family Austin refugees (including ourselves). In the end, it was a dozen folks that we managed to accommodate without skimping on place settings or food. We watched UT beat A&M in the last game that both colleges would be in the same conference. I write this and still wonder why I even gave a fuck at the time. I think Austin's weird fixation with football is finally seeping in to my skin. It's taken six years to get this minor hold on me, but I expect like most diseases, the rate of diffusion through the victim will be exponential.

This weekend was then just Kim and I sitting, eating leftovers, and playing through the Star Wars: The Old Republic MMO stress test. It was... a lot of playing. I don't see myself really playing for literally 12-14 hours a day once the  game is actually released, but I'm trying to save money both for my previous bills and forthcoming Christmas stuff, so it seemed like a good idea to just stay in all weekend. I had been in a previous Beta weekend, and Republic Trooper is still my favorite. I'm a little torn on a few things, such as what side to play and what class, but there will be a Trooper in there for certain.

We went with Nikki to a few Black Friday sales, notably the Round Rock outlets and Half Price Books. It was nice getting ridiculously underpriced clothes to replace some things that needed replacing, and seeing some books to give as gifts. It was especially nice to do this at 2pm when all the murderous, rampaging hordes of folks shopping for deals much like tribes shopped for land had passed.

I'll be heading back to KC for Christmas. I'm not sure if it'll be odd going alone or not yet. Probably.

No comments:

Post a Comment